Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation/APOS Pediatric Psychosocial
Standards of Care Research Grants
APOS extends a sincere thank you to Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation for their generous donation of new grant awards.
CURRENT GRANT OPPORTUNITIES:
Each MMCF Award is $10,000. APOS is offering two grant opportunities as follows:
- One grant will be awarded for research related to the implementation of any of the 15 pediatric psychosocial standards of care. Examples of the types of research funded from the last funding cycle can be found at: https://www.mattiemiracle.com/research
- The standards can be found here: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pbc.25675/full
- A second grant will be awarded for research on the feasibility and usefulness of the newly published Matrix and Guidelines. This research should focus on use of the Matrix and Guidelines to implement the pediatric psychosocial standards of care. This can include ways the Matrix and Guidelines will be used to monitor changes to psychosocial practice based upon being able to identify gaps in services, build in new tools/resources/staffing, and/or achieve a more comprehensive, “next level” of service.
- The standards can be found here: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pbc.28586
ELIGIBILITY AND EXPECTATIONS:
- Eligibility: Current APOS membership and an early investigator (within 10 years of terminal degree).
- A research mentor must be clearly identified, and the application must document his/her involvement in the study design and execution, as well as training and mentorship.
- Funded grant results are expected to be presented at the APOS annual meeting.
- Researchers are expected to publish the results of their funded grant research.
- Grant recipients are expected to acknowledge the Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation (funding agency) in presentations and in publications.
COMPONENTS OF LETTER OF INTENT (LOI) PROPOSAL (400 WORDS MAXIMUM):
Include a brief overview of the proposed project as outlined below:
- Similar to an abstract, include purpose, aims, methods, and outcome measures in one page (400 words maximum).
- Impact Statement (2 sentences) State how this project will impact the psychosocial care of pediatric oncology patients and families and/or pediatric oncology programs and support Mattie Miracle’s psychosocial mission
- Innovation Statement (2 sentences) State how this project is a novel approach to childhood cancer research.
- Dissemination Statement (2-3 sentences) State how this work can lead to the goal of uniformity of evidence-based care (based on these Standards) for children with cancer and their families, regardless of location or size of the institution where care is provided.
- Identify Mentorship Team/Plan – Identify mentor(s) and describe general plan for mentorship.
Grants will be selected based on scientific merit determined by an APOS scientific review committee. There is a possibility that other smaller grants might be offered by MMCF to applicants whose projects show great promise in developing a deliverable product and/or those that directly align with the mission of their organization.
ABOUT THE FUNDER:
Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation is dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families, and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives.
The American Psychosocial Oncology Society (APOS) is a multidisciplinary organization dedicated to researching and treating the psychosocial aspects of cancer. It brings together professionals from all disciplines working in the psychological, behavioral and social aspects of cancer, including nurses, social workers, psychologists, counselors, clergy and psychiatrists.
For specific questions, please contact Dr. Lori Wiener email@example.com.